Prospective students should have a good first degree (First class or second class; upper division) in one of the pathway areas in Communication design or design-related programme. For MA, applicant in addition, must have a minimum of two years professional working experience, and further demonstrate the appropriate intellectual, creative and personal qualities to pursue the programme. Each candidate will be required to submit a 2-page summary of proposal that he/she intends to work on and for which a competent supervisor is readily available. MA students will be required to produce a good professional portfolio and attend an interview.
Candidates would be selected on the basis of a body of work/proposal that will demonstrate an advanced understanding of the subject/area, sufficient knowledge and technical skill to realise intentions; evidence of commitment to the subject; research and intellectual curiosity, critical design-thinking; open-mindedness; the ability to collaborate, to engage in research and debate, and respond communicatively to criticism.
Component of the programme
- Required (core) courses
- Research component
- Practical training and/or seminar presentations
- Semester-by-semester schedule of course
Requirements for graduation
- Pass all subjects
- Achieved a minimum of (a) 24 credits and not more than 38 (for MA Design) and (b) 40 credits and not more than 72 (for MPhil Design)
- Achieved cumulated weighted average (CWA) of 55% and above.
- Hold a reviewed exhibition of their Communication Design studio work (for MA students) on the University premises, private or public gallery in Kumasi to be reviewed by internal examiner and/or an external assessor; for MPhil, a publication of an article in a peer-reviewed journal; or two conference proceedings at a peer-review conference.
- Satisfy all requirements of the department and the School of Graduate Studies.