Comm Design Learning Outcomes
Main page content
B.A./M. Comm Design Programmes Learning Outcomes
The Department of Communication Design BA curriculum emphasizes accomplishment with conceptual, technical and collaborative skills. Ultimately these skills are the foundation of the student’s ability to tell an interesting and meaningful story about a service or product. BA graduates of the Department of Communication Design meet student performance standards within the following areas: design skills, communication skills, problem solving, conceptual thinking and professional readiness. Students will graduate with a competitive portfolio capable of acquiring a first job, and with the abilities needed to succeed at that job. Most of all, they will be focused and creative communicators capable of expressing themselves in traditional media and emerging advertising forms.
BA graduates of the Department of Communication Design will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Design Skills
- Effectively use visual media, including freehand drawing, to convey ideas and concepts throughout the creative process.
- Apply basic design principles to creative work.
- Communication Skills
- Create engaging narratives that demonstrate an understanding of the elements of storytelling: idea, structure, conflict, character, and imagery.
- Clearly and confidently present ideas in both formal and informal group settings.
- Coherently explain complex ideas in short-form, simplified writing.
- Problem Solving
- Apply strategic elements focused on the target customer, the product/ service, and the market.
- Gather, assess, and apply relevant information, including historical research, as part of the conceptual and design process.
- Conceptual Thinking
- Communicate relevant objectives through the use of appropriate aesthetic choices.
- Think conceptually and execute projects beyond traditional advertising media.
- Generate original ideas.
- Develop ideas that can be articulated within project parameters.
- Professional Readiness
- Present an original portfolio to acquire a job within the industry.
- Articulate career goals and plan to achieve them.
- Submit work according to professional presentation standards.
- Collaborate with other members of a creative team.
Department of Communication Design Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Department of Communication Design will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.